Saturday, April 27, 2013

FINALLY...a positive test!

A zillion ultrasounds, two surgeries, twenty plus inseminations, two rounds of in vitro fertilization, and dozens of negative pregnancy tests later, Michelle and I finally got the good news we've been waiting for!  On March 7th, we found out Michelle was pregnant!!  After the first round of IVF didn't work we planned to go back to Mexico for a frozen embryo transfer in late January or early February.  But we had some trouble getting the medications in the tiemframe we needed them so had to push it back to late February.  Of course, by then it was almost spring break time so tickets to Mexico were a lot more expensive, so after lots of hemming and hawing, we decided Michelle would go by herself for a quick two day trip Feb 24-26th.  Our plan was to transfer two embryos on the 25th.  BUT apparently we didn't clearly communicate that and when Michelle got to the clinic on Monday (by herself with no international calling plan) they had thawed all three of our remaining embryos.  So, poor Michelle, had to make the decision about whether to go ahead with all three or just  do two, knowing that the 3rd likely wouldn't survive another freeze-thaw cycle.  She told me all of this when she got home...prefacing it with "I had to make a decision, and if you think it was the wrong one, please don't tell me because it was hard!"  Of course, I told her she made the right decision and I would have done the same thing.  Plus, we'd been 0/2 the first time so why not increase our chances.

As usual, the two week wait (between transfer & test date) was tortuous, but at least we were in Hawaii for most of it and able to just relax and enjoy the sunshine and being with my family.  We knew the first day we could test was Thursday the 6th but we weren't sure if we wanted to do the test in Hawaii with my whole family there.  We, of course, were worried it would be negative and would just ruin the rest of our vacation.  But, really, it's sooooooo hard to wait so we decided to go ahead and test.  Michelle told me on the plane ride to Hawaii that she was feeling positive, couldn't explain why, but just felt like she was pregnant.  Then on Weds, the day before the blood test, she had a little bleeding and cramping and was sure that was it and it would be a negative test. =(  But we did the test anyway, stopping in Hilo en route to the Green Sand Beach.  We were told we might not get the results til the next day, but waited on pins and needles as 5pm got closer anyway.  But no call came.  Oh, I forgot to mention that my parents' friend Nina, a nurse midwife, was able to order the test for us so we were waiting for a call from her.

Friday was a "work day" where we all helped dad with yardwork. That was a good way to keep our minds off waiting.  Michelle was hauling bamboo and I was working with Matt and Claude on making brush piles of cut mango when Kate came to get Michelle because her phone was ringing.  Michelle later told me that Nina probably thought she wasn't excited at all because Michelle knew Kate was listening and she wanted to tell me before anyone else knew!  So she just said "uh huh, ok, thanks" when Nina told her she was pregnant! =)  Then she came out to tell me and I couldn't believe it! But again, we wanted to just keep it to ourselves for a bit so there wasn't a big jumping up and down celebration. =)  We both just went back to yardwork, but of course we couldn't stop thinking about it!  I'll fill you in on how we told people in the next post...

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love reading everyone's comments! Thanks for taking the time to comment!