Thursday, November 28, 2013

So Thankful

This Thanksgiving we have a whole lot to be thankful for! Last year on Thanksgiving we did the embryo transfer for our first round of IVF. We celebrated with a nice Mexican dinner and were feeling very hopeful and positive. That first cycle obviously didn't work, but the second one sure did!  We have so much to be thankful for this year, starting, of course with our three little munchkins.  We've been seeing picures today of babies who are celebrating their one year birthday today and have a hard time believing our wee little ones will be that big this time next year.  (On the plus side though, they will be sleeping more by then!!)

I'm incredibly grateful for my amazingly strong an beautiful wife and the wonderful, loving relationship we have created.  If anything can test a relationship it is constant sleep deprivation and three crying babies, but I am happy to report that we are weathering this storm well.  Now that's not to say that it is easy or that we don't each get beaten down at various times.  But we are such a good team that if one of us needs to have a mini breakdown, the other person somehow finds the inner reserves to be the strong one in that moment. (even though we might also be on the verge of losing it!)  Through all the feeding, pumping, changing, soothing routines of the day Michelle still does the little things to let me know she loves me.

We are also thankful for our "village."  We honestly can't imagine doing this without all the family (and friend) support we have had over these first couple of months.  Having the extra sets of hands to hold and soothe or change babies has, I'm quite certain, preserved our sanity more than once.  Not to mention all the "non-baby" support like making meals, doing laundry, and cleaning that they have all done.  Our little trio won't remember these days, but we certainly will and we will be forever grateful for your time and energy.  We are also thankful for the support of our friends and family near and far who have chipped in with giftcards, treats, and meals to help us make it through these sleep deprived days and nights.  Michelle and I are continually amazed by the generosity of this community here in State College and so appreciate all the "baby stuff" that people have given or loaned us to help us care for these babies.  And we promise continued appreciation all year long for al the local (and non-local!) folks that we hope will continue to come hold babies or bring meals over the coming months!!

I'm thankful that I have a job that I love and that both my boss and the families I work with are so understanding and flexible.  I love the work that I do, working with families to help their children learn to move and play, and I enjoy celebrating new milestone with them.  I'm so grateful to all the families of preemies who have been great resources for us to draw on as we prepared to welcome our little trio into the world, knowing that a NICU stay was almost guaranteed.  And I feel lucky to still be in touch with so many families I've worked with over the years, not to mention the amazing people I have worked with over the years.  I feel confident speaking for Michelle, that she is also grateful for the people in her PhD program, both fellow students turned friends and professors, for being so supportive and flexible this semester as she tries to juggle raising three babies with schoolwork.

I could go on and on, but I'll spare you and move on to what you've all been waiting for...the adorable Thanksgiving photos! =)   The group shots have the kiddos modeling their matching turkey onesies made by Auntie Jess.
Avery sporting the turkey day onesie from Grandma Stephen

Ellie the turkey butt and her siblings


Are these the cutest Thanksgiving onesies or what?

gobble gobble gobble

shake your tail feather

thanks for the cute outfits Auntie Jess!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

We love reading everyone's comments! Thanks for taking the time to comment!