Saturday, June 21, 2014

Babies are the best medicine

My surgery yesterday went well. I was pleasantly surprised by how well I was able to move relatively quickly afterwards and was all gung-ho about going home. Then the pain ramped up a bit and I asked for pain meds. And that's when things took a turn for the worse. The Percocet made me woozy and nauseous and just generally made me feel like crap. I was still determined to go home and had passed all my tests (walking, peeing, etc) so they got all my discharge papers ready & took out my IVs. 
at least the gown & pretty hat coordinate

This is when I was actually feeling good & happy
to be in my clothes
Michelle was with me most of the day, but went home to help with the bedtime routine. After the babies went down, Michelle and my mom went to get Panera for dinner and brought me chicken soup. I took about two bites and felt sick so I stopped trying. Then I picked at the bread but my mouth was still so dry (despite drinking gallons of water) that I could barely swallow. And then boom, it hit me & I did get sick. And of course all of this was happening as the nurse was going over my discharge papers. Naturally, this unfortunate turn of events had me reconsidering going home, and as much as I wanted to be home, I knew the smarter choice was to stay. So I said goodnight to Mom & Michelle and the IV team came to put an IV back in to give me zofran and toradol. Unfortunately, because I was so dehydrated it was very hard to get the IV in and it took two people and three tries. (Ouch!)

So I spent a not so restful night in the hospital and came home this morning around 9:45, just in time to feed babies. I've been experimenting with a couple of different positions for nursing that keeps the babies off my stomach and so far so good. I'm so happy to be home, and while I still don't feel like a million bucks, I feel much more like myself now that I'm home. The babies have given me some good smiles and snuggles that are making me feel much better.
Ellie was so smiley and cute today!
having babies stand next to me on the couch is working well

some afternoon snuggles from Avery
And as the day has gone on I've continued to feel better and better.  I have been alternating ibuprofen & tylenol and that's been working pretty well to control my pain.  Taking a vicodin tonight, but hoping that I can just use that at night for a few days.  We'll see!  I've had good luck with vicodin in the past so hopefully no nausea!  Mom made a delicious pork tenderloin and homemade applesauce for dinner tonight!  It's so nice to be eating real food and actually wanting to eat it again!
despite all the swelling and bruising I appreciate that my
scars are fairly symmetrical.  Michelle said "you have a rainbow of scars!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love reading everyone's comments! Thanks for taking the time to comment!